Monday, April 13, 2015

New York City Value Studies

Hi,  I thought I would share some value studies with you today that I did using peach black tubed watercolor and my brush. These are currently hanging on my living room wall and they  remind me how much can be said with so little. Charles Sovek always said , " it takes 3 values to turn an object " I have learned so much by painting and focusing on values that now I almost do it automatically. You can be assured if a painting works in black and white it will work in color. I have also been spending time studying the work of Ted Kautzky  and his wonderful value sketches.




 I hope these two paintings have inspired you to try painting in black and white for a while .  Love to hear how it works for you and if I can help you in any way just leave a comment or email me. Well, a new Sketchbook Skool  sketchbookskool.com   Session starts next week so I am off to hit the streets with my sketchbook and fountain pens and of course a tiny watercolor kit. See you next time . Enjoy this beautiful day !

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder, Diane. I have been wondering how the on-line classes would work. I enjoyed Brenda Swenson's sketchbook class a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sketchbook Skool is a wonderful course for sketching inspiration . I have taken them all and love the lessons and do what I can with the time constraints I have so no worries. It is such fun to see how everyone approaches the assignments differently , love it !

      Delete
  2. Diane you've been so busy and away I see! Thanks so much for your visit to mine. These black and whites and very inspirational and whether color or value pieces, they always have a great capture of movement and interesting composition. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete