Monday, April 8, 2013

Somerville Sticks


    I love the watercolors of Edward Wesson and Steve Hall ; after a recent workshop in the UK and viewing a new DVD that Steve has done  Wesson' s Watercolor Secrets  with   Town House Films  I found one of the ways Edward Wesson liked to work was with ink and sharpened sticks from the yard.
  SO on a recent trip to Boston while I was at the playground with my granddaughter  I found some sticks of my own. I sharpened them with a razor blade and purchased some waterproof black ink and I was in business. I hope you like my go at stick , ink and watercolor.
  Give it a try if you get a chance and let me know how you like it. I found it very freeing and fun to work with. It is always good to stretch yourself and try something new. Don't you think so ?


This watercolor " Heading To The Corner " is  available. It is 10"x14" . Steve has encouraged me to work larger so I am trying hard to work on 1/4 sheets of Arches watercolor paper. Hopefully I will get to a 1/2 and whole one of these days. See you next time . Enjoy !

4 comments:

  1. What am I doing buying brushes?... This is fabulous! You always catch that hustle and bustle beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary and I encourage you to give it a go and let me know what you think. You are correct the price is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane, I just discovered your lovely lively work! Wonderful gesture, and movement. I also love ink and a stick, bamboo pen, dip pen, whatever makes lovely expressive line. I keep trying diff inks and have yet to find a truly waterproof one...what did you find? Blessings, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanie, Thanks so much for taking the time to write and encourage me. I have been using Higgins Calligraphy Waterproof black ink . I hope that helps. I purchased it online. I now need to experiment with a few fountain pens. Blessings to you as well.

    ReplyDelete